05 September 2007

A day in my life

I'm sure there's at least one of you who wonder what I do all day long. So, here's a glimpse into a typical day (last Friday in fact!).

5:30 cat wakes up. Cat howls, paws at door, continues annoying behavior.
5:50 Peter gives in, feeds cat. We both go back to sleep
7:30 alarm goes off
8:00 I get out of bed
8:20 shower, ponder what to wear, eat breakfast
8:40 find book bag
8:50 ride bus to school! office mate gets on bus too. We spend bus ride discussing lesson plans for the day, papers due, and agonizing over the building workload
9:05 arrive in office. We continue discussing lessons plans, sharing notes on our agendas and handouts.
9:20 proofread paper due today, make changes, print paper
10:00 crap, we don't have a stapler. Office hours just started so I am now stuck in office until noon.
10:30 Office mate finds PhD requirement list on department website. She freaks out.
10:35 I read list. We freak out a bit together. They want what? Ack!
10:50 Still no students. Work on handouts and materials for lesson plan. Read students' textbook.
11:30 Office mate invites me to lunch. I can't go due to office hours. Still no students. Read my own textbooks for next week.
12:00 FREE!! Run downstairs to use stapler in mailroom. Turn in paper. Remember that food is a good thing.
12:20 eat and check our PO Box for mail. All junk. How come no one sends us good mail. Sigh.
12:45 back to office and gather supplies. Go by teaching mentor's office to discuss "problem" student. Brainstorm solutions if problem persists.
1:05 go to class. Almost entire class is there early. They are always there early. Try to make small talk about the weekend.
1:10 teach
2:00 class over! walk to next classroom
2:05 try the small talk thing again
2:10 teach
3:00 thank god it's over. Ponder the miracle of only one absence in 52 students on a beautiful Friday afternoon of a three day weekend. Decide they must not hate me.
3:30 gossip in the hallway with other PhD students
3:45 work on projects due in a few weeks. Almost the entire department has left for the weekend.
5:00 realize that my water bottle is missing. Contemplate where I had it last.
5:10 Realize that I want to go home too. pack up books. Walk past classroom to check on bottle. Hooray! Find bottle!
5:30 arrive home.

So that's my day in a nutshell. Thrilling isn't it?It's only week 3 of 16- and I'm already out of the house for 40+ hours a week. I'm slightly terrified about how much busier it's going to get. I get to grade my students' first papers starting this weekend. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly, I wish you luck and know you can do this brilliantly....

adn

Brian K. Lynch said...

A brilliant combination of the "descriptive" and "evaluative" (remember your notes from Research Methods...). Remember that Space and Time are a continuum; don't forget to eat; our pets are trying to tell us something...

Kimberly said...

You know, Brian, I actually did a DIE (describe-interpret-evaluate) activity in class with my students the other day- they were pros at I and E, but terrible at focusing solely on description.

If I could figure out what Miles was trying to say... he's so chatty and pushy, but it's never clear what we could do that would satisfy him. Sigh- I guess that's what we get for having a cat.