we've been eating our way through Italy, as is only expected. And, I've learned a few things unexpected.
1. Rabbit is a tasty little creature. Who knew? I highly recommend it, especially prepared like we had it in Siena, with pine nuts, rosemary, and pepper. Yum yum.
2. Italian bread seems to need salt. I don't know what it is, but I haven't fallen in love with the bread here. The focaccia, yes, the bread, eh.
3. Breakfast is not the important meal your mom always said it was. In fact, the best, most Italian of breakfasts is espresso and cookies. Not a pastry or something pretending to be "breakfast" food. Flat out cookies. This morning I had basically a twinkie. For breakfast. Crazy.
4. when shopping for fruit at the market, you are NOT allowed to touch the fruit. If at an open farmers' market style booth, you tell the vendor what you want and THEY select the fruit for you. If you are at a grocery store, you have to put on these plastic gloves before selecting your produce. Kinda makes sense when you think about it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment