16 June 2008

Guanajuato- city or stairmaster?

J and I went to Guanajuato last weekend for a little excursion. We had a great time that involved many, many stairs. So many winding paths leading to stairs.


We went to the Museo de Momias (pictures in a separate post in case you're uncomfortable with mummies). It was surprisingly tasteful and was interesting to learn about how the soil and weather combination in Guanajuato leads to the creation of mummies (some were only 20 years old). We also saw the birthblace of Diego Riveria, a muralist and painter who I adore. NExt weekend we head to D.F. (Mexico City) and I'm really looking forward to seeing his grand murals in Palacio de Belles Artes. I'm planning on taking Mom and Peter there as well, that's how much I love these murals. Anyhoo, we toured his house and saw some of his earlier works (he had an impressionist phase inspired by Picasso) as well as some of the sketches for other works.

We treked and treked through the city....


And walked and walked and walked...

And then, we got lost. You see, Guanajuato is small. A Tiny City, really. 70,000 people, but lots of those live out in the suburbs. So getting lost? Really, that takes some special talent. Luckily, both J and I have this specical gift. So we saw on our completely ineffective map (published by the tourist bureau) that Calle Alameda went rightish and upish and then connected to this other street we wanted. So, we went rightish and upish. And kept going rightish and upish. And Kept going. And Kept going. Calle Alameda didn't have any cross streets. None. We'd round a corner, thinking, oh here it is, only to find that is was just a corner. We ended up walking a least an hour, through a tunnel,


which had its own stalagtites

and a parking lot before we found our way. In fact, we basically ended up walking in a gigantic loop. We ended up back where we started. See, that takes talent.


And this is the view from my bedroom window at Casa de Pita.


Even better, these are the views of the INSIDE of our room!

The door to our bath





J headed to the shower


Our pretty sink and mirror


J and our bunkbeds


I tell you, it sure was cute!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's with the door to your bath? Have you grown taller?

kll

kari said...

ending up back where you started? tee hee.