Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
see what happens when you move two life-long coasters into the middle...
PEter, Kimberly, Froglette, and Cole are residing in the Middle - if you go to the map of the US, find the dead center, move a little east and a little north, and you've found them. They were expecting corn, but they're still shocked at how much there is.
4 comments:
BWA! I hear you.
So what are the consequences for cheating these days. Both college and high school?
kll
Well, the answer to that is kinda complicated. In a hypothetical example where students were looking at each others' papers during a quiz in a large lecture, it's a bit hard to necessarily prove cheating. (Note the use of the word 'prove'. I might know they were cheating, but not be able to prove it). I might write a little note on said quizzes to remind such students of the importance of keeping eyes on own papers (hypothetically speaking of course!).
Plagiarism in a composition class is a much bigger deal. If a student plagiarized, at the least would be an F on the paper. I have the ability to also give him/her an F for the class and to report the student to the ethics people. For students from a different cultural background, if they were new to American school systems, I might cut some slack if I thought there was a chance that the student didn't really understand American views on plagiarism (these are very different cross-culturally). I would at least refuse to grade the paper. I might allow the student to fix the paper for a low grade.
So, I have a fair amount of discretion. Unfortunately, to pursue severe punishment is a lot of work on my part. Many faculty don't do much at all- except refuse to grade cheated/copied papers, just because the burden is high.
I'm also interested to hear what happens with cheating in the high schools these days. Kari?
Post a Comment