When I lived in my two previous university towns I frequently ran into people I knew or just people who were familiar looking. At Hippie U, I had the same route most days (going from class to class) and often crossed paths with the same folk each day. We didn't know each other, but we did recognize each other. At City U, I knew a lot of people around campus (mostly due to the fact that I spent way too many years there and had many different positions at the U). I always ran into people I knew.
Here at Farm U, I don't really know anyone. But, as I walk across the quad each day, I see people that I just know that I know. And it seems so strange that these people would be here in the Middle. How did they get here? And then, I look more closely and realize that they just bear some sort of passing resemblance to people from City U (or even Hippie U every once in a while). I'm sure that eventually I will indeed recognize people here. But not yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey, that used to happen to me ALL THE TIME when we first moved here. Not so much anymore. But, then I ran into my first college roommate (we went to college in a different state) from, like, 10 years ago, and that was shocking. You never know who turns up in the middle. After all, you're here, right?
Good point!!
Isn't it amazing though, the way our brains search for the familiar even when we are in the unfamiliar?
Post a Comment