I graduated college almost a decade ago. Since then, I've basically worked 40 hours a a week.
There are things that are tough about 40 hour work weeks: worrying about getting fired, meeting deadlines, appeasing clients, etc. But the one nice thing about work is that, generally, when you're done at 5 (or 6, or whenever), you're done. You go home. You make/eat dinner. Maybe a little tv. Weekends are for wine tasting, or going to the farmer's market, or hiking, or sitting in front of the tv and watching football all day.
Having been back in school now for about 3 months, I remembered the thing I disliked most about being in school all those years ago: you never, NEVER, stop thinking about school. Take a night off? That's fine, just remember, you have that paper due in 2 weeks and, really, shouldn't you be reading/researching? Going to actually take a vacation during during break? Just don't think about that model you need to make.
If you can't tell, I'm pretty ready for a real break. We have the whole Thanksgiving week off, and we're heading back to Portland. I'm going to a Blazers game. We're meeting up with friends. It will be nice. And I will do my best to not think about school stuff the entire time. Well, except for the things I am taking with me for that research paper I need to write.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I'm back - it's really great. I'm just really busy and need a mental break.
Sometimes I think coming back to school was the best and worst decision I've ever made.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hang in there Peter. See you soon.
like most things in life, there is a plus and a minus...
just enjoy the process and remember to have fun.
adn
Can't wait to see you guys oh so very soon.
Sissy
Post a Comment