[Here's a fun tangent: the school and church parish I attended, and also where I was baptized (I think) and first communion-ed, was one of the parishes closed and sold by the Massachusetts Catholic Diocese as part of the settlement in all those child abuse scandals a few years back. They sold the complex to the local Greek Orthodox church, who needed to move out of their beautiful 'National Register of Historic Places' church into a larger space. A guy I hung out with and his family was big into the Greek church and they were enlisted to help renovate the new church to make it more Greek Orthodox-like. As part of the renovation, they removed the catholic alter, which was made of solid marble. They were just going to throw it away, so my buddy took it home. It now resides in his home as a beautiful bar. I don't know if this is awesome or sacrilegious, but at the least, it is a fine example of re-using old materials.]
Before the school closed and I was forced to enter the hell that is the public education system (joking, where else could I have learned to swear like a pirate?), my brother and I used to walk to school everyday. I remember this one house always had sunflowers along the sidewalk. And not little sunflowers, but the gigantic ones that get like 10 feet tall with heads bigger than human torso. I always thought they were cool, thinking it must have been a huge undertaking to grow such massive cool things.
When I moved to Portland permanently, Kimberly and I found a nice little bungalow with a very supportive (read: easily convinced) landlord who let us do whatever we wanted with the yards. We decided we would grow some veggies, including tomatoes, tomatillos, and various types of peppers (one of which we were able to successfully keep alive over 3 winters and we subsequently gave away when we left: if you are the person who we gave the plant to (and I honestly don't remember who has it) and you happen to read this, let us know how it's doing. I miss those little hot peppers).
We also decided to grow sunflowers.
Now, at this point, let me explain: I'm a city boy. I had a grandfather who had a great garden, and a long line of family that were farmers in Italy and my mother, grandmother and uncle have amazing green thumbs (green hands really), but I grew up in a suburb. I was never involved in the planting of anything, nor was I particularly interested. So when we bought the sunflower seeds, I was convinced that there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that giant sunflowers were going to grow out of these little sunflowers seeds, which looked like the ones I used to chew and spit when I was in Little League. Boy, was I wrong.
That year, we had sunflowers that got to about 8-9 feet. The heads had to be at least 18 inches across. They were gigantic. We salted and roasted the seeds and had enough for the whole winter (actually, my friend/workmate Eugene ate them all while sitting in a cold room doing filing, but that's another story for another day). People walking with their kids would stop and walk up next to the plants, admiring them. It was like a mini-community center, where people would gather to talk about their day.
It was fun. So I decided we needed to do it again.
We bought seeds a few weeks back at our super-great local nursery. And again, I was not sure that these were the right seeds. How could a 8-10 foot plant grow out of these tiny things. Impossible.
Despite the terrible weather we are still having (apparently, we moved to the Middle just in time for the worst winter in memory) I decided that if there was any chance of getting 10 foot sunflowers, I needed to start the seeds. But not outside. Not until July, apparently.
About a week ago, I planted about 13 seeds in pots, and placed them in front of the window with the rest of our young plants. Then I sat down, sad that I needed to wait 5-15 days for them to sprout.
But the package was wrong. Only a couple days later, the sprouts, well, sprouted. And they won't stop growing. A couple have to be 2-3 inches already. I worry they will fall over, since they grow towards the light and are sometimes almost horizontal. When I rotate them, they straighten up and lean the other way within hours. It's amazing. If they keep growing at this rate, they'll be 10 feet tall by June.
But now I'm worried that the plants are going to get too big for their pots before the weather takes a permanent turn for the better. What do I do then? The root structure was pretty large before, so I don't think larger pots is the answer, unless I only want to do one or two.
Please, please, please weather, get better. Please. I mean really, it's almost Tax Day, we shouldn't be having snow storm warnings anymore. Please get nice.
Having a gigantic plant grow out of a seed that is about 1/4 inch big in only a few short months has to be one of the most satisfying things you can possibly do as a garden/plant activity. If/when we ever have kids, I am growing them every year, just to reinforce to them how cool plants are. I will grow them with my niece 1900 some time.
Anyways, here's a couple pictures of the sprouts in various states of growth.
Come on weather, help us out.

4 comments:
Maybe you can transplant the little guys and make a "greenhouse" out of plastic to protect them. Would take some care to uncover them when it's sunny and hot during the day and cover them up at night before it gets coldddddd.
kll
I'm sure 1900 would love to eat the sunflowers . -BTO
don't worry...in another couple years we'll have the next worst winter ever, and you won't even remember this one. Don't plant your sunflowers before Mother's Day.
Post a Comment