26 November 2007

This Baby has Cooler Clothes than Me

Dreaming of Enter The Dragon

A few weeks back, before Thanksgiving break, the two of us took a trip down to Arizona to visit our niece, 1900. While I was not overly impressed with the Phoenix area, it was really nice to get out of the on-coming cold of the middle and spend some time in a 90-degree desert. And it was really nice to finally meet 1900.

To entice everyone to the desert, BtO and S.I.L.K. had a naming ceremony for 1900, even though they're not Jewish; the whole thing was just a really good excuse to throw a party in the very cool Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. Almost the entire immediate family from both sides was there (except for my Uncle Loveday and S.I.L.K.'s brother, who doesn't fly), so it also served as a bit of a family reunion.

My father, BtO, 1900, S.I.L.K., Aunt Youyou, and S.I.L.K.'s father

Needless to say, 1900 is pretty cute. Somehow, two blond-ish parents ended up with a bright red-headed baby. She has enormously large cheeks, which I had to fight against every gene in my body to not pinch. And she has huge [color omitted] eyes. If I had a son, and I wasn't related to her, I would put a down payment on the dowry for her.

My mom, Sister-the-Youngest, BtO, 1900, S.I.L.K. and us.

Since Kimberly and I are 1900's favorite Aunt/Uncle pair (not to mention, the only Aunt/Uncle pair), we had to get her the best gift. I think we did ok:

[Looking back on it, 1900 got a lot of clothes as gifts. It almost makes me wish we had gotten her a book or a stuffed animal or something else different and cool. Although, since all the other clothes she got were pink or white, I figure this nice brown onesie, which goes well with her red hair, will be a nice change for her.]

After the ceremony and some great dinner [please note: I love roast duck, even when it's made with chicken], we went back to 1900's place, where her favorite Aunt and Uncle got to hold and play with her. I was trying my hardest to wake her up, but S.I.L.K. was having none of it.

Me, looking terrible, with two much better looking ladies

The event was a success and a blast. The Botanical Gardens were gorgeous and served as a wonderful backdrop. And 1900 was a charming young lass. It almost makes you want to have one. Almost.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what no mention of the great grandma!

do you think 1900 was posed with the finger position or it came naturally?

Kimberly said...

I didn't think that either of the great-grandmas were there. Just two lovely new grandmas!

Peter said...

unfortunately, great-grandma (aka nonna) was unable to make it to arizona for the festivities. but I believe 1900 will see her and Uncle Beardface over the holiday season. I'm not sure if there are any g-gma's on S.I.L.K.'s side.

Emily said...

First that is an insanely cute baby. Second, I kind of love that brown onsie you got for her and I think I may have to go order one for use at our house in March.