- There's no curbside/household recycling here. Really. Iowa does have the old 5 cent deposit on cans/bottles, but that's it. K and I will use our own boxes and separate out our own recycling, then drive it down to the recycling center. I guess it's not really that big of a hassle, but after experiencing mandatory recycling, it seems strange not to be able to put it out at the curb. And although I can't prove it because I don't know anyone here, I imagine not a lot of people drive their recycling down to the center voluntarily (I imagine people in Portland would be less likely to recycle if it wasn't mandatory, but I think the percentages would still be pretty high, based on the people who live there). Our postman tried to assuage our fears by telling us that in the City it's not a big deal if you don't recycle because they burn all the trash anyways. I'm not sure if I should be happy that they're burning our trash to provide cheap energy or horrified that they are burning trash to provide cheap energy (not to mention the burning plastic and not burnable metal cans).
- In Our Iowan city, pedestrians apparently do not have the right of way. One of the nice things about Boston and Portland was you could start crossing the street (or even stand at the curb and contemplate crossing) and cars would screech to a halt to let you pass (becaue they're nice in Portland; because they're worried about tickets in Boston). But in the less than week we've been here, I've already seen several people get hit by cars. These are people that are already in the street and then need to avoid the cars that aren't stopping for them. While Our Iowan city is pretty sprawly and not easy to walk around in (based on my less than a week here), you would think that the people would at least be nice and not try to run people over. I'm not sure how I feel about this so far.
- Not a real bike friendly city. In our Iowan city, there are no bike lanes here. While I'm not surprised that there aren't bike lanes in the streets here, I am a little surprised Portland is one of the most bike friendly cities in the US and thusly has a lot of bike lanes, so I guess I'm spoiled. I stopped and talked to another biker today, and he said that people in the city were pretty good about bikes. He added that he had only heard of a few instances on rural roads where people were yelled at or had things thrown at them. What? And then I was almost run over on my bike. In the City. Apparently there is some groundswell to start adding bike lanes to the streets (they're certainly wide enough for them) and to add biking to the driver's education programs. Both of those would be good, because it's fairly flat here and would be a good place to ride a bike all the time (I have more on my first biking expedition, but that's another post).
14 August 2007
We're Not in Portland Anymore Or How I Learned I No Longer Lived in a 'Liberal' City
We've been here less than a week, but it's already apparent that we don't live in Portland, or even Boston, anymore. Not just because there's no water nearby, or mountains, or because the Republicans held their straw pole less than a mile from where I live, but because of these three things:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
so you are wearing a helmet, then?
adn
I know about the biking in the Midwest. You'd think, with the flatness, ideal, right? But no. I used to bike commute in Chicago. Coffee, soda cans (both full and empty) and lit cigarettes have all been tossed my biking way. that said, keep the faith! It really IS great bike-riding territory.
In Iowa's defense, they do have RAGBRAI, one of the best multiday bike rides in the country. www.ragbrai.org
i've heard about that bike ride. someone told me that there's a waiting list that is multiple years long to actually ride.
and in the last couple days i've seen quite a few people riding, so that gives me hope.
Post a Comment