07 May 2007

Things I'll Miss About Oregon: Volume 6.2 [Things in The Forest ]


The plants that are native to Oregon are pretty spectacular. Lots of cool things grow in the forests hear, including tiger-lilies, dogwoods (that's one growing wild up there), and rhododendrons. In fact, there's a whole city named Rhododendron in Oregon.

Rhoddies are kind of the unofficial-official plant of this area (after Roses, which are kind of the official-official plant of the area, represented by this). I imagine it's because they're dormant 11 months of the year, then bloom in the spring to announce the end of the rainy season. Rhoddies are a harbinger of warmer, sunny days.

Usually, they aren't that spectacular: a boring green bush/shrub/tree. But right now, the rhoddies are exploding with their blooms. I imagine the Rhododendron Garden is looking amazing.


Pretty much everything here is blooming right now; the pollen is painful. The streets are covered, the car gets a fresh coat every morning. Although I can barely breath with the stuffed up nose and pounding headache, it is pretty beautiful here right now.

Credit: Dogwood photo from Jerry Greer, which I found randomly with Google Images and is a pretty awesome photo.

No comments: