Ok, ok... so Peter's getting a bit ahead of things here with all of his "things I'll miss" posts. Whoa there buster...
Like I was saying... I've been thinking about all the fabulous things I'm going to miss about Portland. There's the family (biological and school families), the comfortable familiarity, the weather... all that stuff. But what I'm really going to miss?
The good places to eat in Portland...
Perhaps some of you from out of town remember the handy list Peter compiled on our wedding webpage. It was our master list of places we like to eat. In comparison, check out this handy list compiled by the good folks at the City of Ames Visitors Bureau. A bit depressing, eh?
In its memory, here is my list of fabulous dining in Portland
1. Cafe Mingo the beautiful gnocchi, the tiny tables... oh such beautiful food...
2. Lauro as Peter mentioned earlier, the restaurant we would have had cater our wedding- if we were millionaires
3. Nuestra Cocina- no burritos here, just beautiful, non-Tex-Mex handmade creations. They make their own tortillas for heaven's sake. (and their drinks are tasty too!) Plus, they were the first place we ate at when we moved to our house. Lucky us!
4. Ken's Pizza- what can I say about Ken's.... a small, limited menu. A line out the door. Deafening volume in the high-ceilinged room. Yes, some downsides. But they make the.best.pizza.in.Portland. No joke.
5. Bombay Cricket Club- this place has a bit of the soup-Nazi to it. Don't have a reservation? The hostess will sigh and ponder the list (even if it's 6 on Wednesday). But they make a fantastic mango lassi and some saag that's SO good.
6. sushi- yes, sushi in general. Somehow I have the sneaking suspicion that there won't be all that much sushi in the middle (what with the lack of water and seas and stuff). Mio Sushi is our standby, reliable, tasty, and ridiculously affordable. We can stuff our faces for less than $15 each.
7. Pok Pok- Northern Thai style street food. No pad thai here, but a wickedly hot green papaya salad and tasty roasted little game hens. yum!
8. Sub Rosa- our local Italian place. We love the proprietress, we love her seasoned nuts on the house salad, we love that it's a 2 block walk from our house.
9. Mother's- breakfast to die for. It's SO worth the incredibly long wait. and wait you will. Their coffee convinced us to abandon the old drip and buy ourselves a fancy french press.
So, this is the list in progress. And keep tuned in for the latest installment of "Things I'll Miss About Oregon"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
thats a pretty good list - although you could list 50 places and still not cover all the good restaurants in this city.
my initial reaction to that Ames list:
1) i guess mcdonalds, arby's and subway are technically restaurants, but...really?
2) when the visitor's bureau lists a truck stop and the university student dining department as restaurants, thats a red light right there.
3) it's true. that list confirms that there are 2 irish-mexican places in ames. between those 2 places, and the one "real" irish pub, there has to be a good, fresh guiness somewhere. right?
Well, we're are going to have to become restaurant quality home chefs- cuz those options are crap. And combined with the lack of Trader Joes? We'll need to start thinking about the styles of food we need to learn.
That's a good list - although I'm a little ashamed to admit I've only eaten at half of them. I think I have to get out of NE more often.
Em-
you can consider this is beginning of your "Things to do and places to go that will make Peter and Kimberly jealous" list.
Please report on them often so we can live vicariously!
what kind of italian is Lucallan?
i'm going to say lucallan is somewhere above olive garden and somewhere below good. they have red and white checkered table clothes, so...
there is a barilla pasta factory in ames though, so maybe they get fresh, dried pasta?
Post a Comment