
See that. Up there in the distance, through the blurry picture, past Kimberly's head. That's it, the one, the only, the Portland Saturday Farmers' Market.
This past Saturday, the 7th of April, was opening day of the Farmers' Market season; there's also a Wednesday market and two Thursday markets, but this is the grand-daddy of 'em all. Needless to say, Kimberly and I were excited about the return of the market. Watch how easy the eating inspiration flows as we make our way through the market.
We took only a couple pictures, but I'm putting them all here, as added inspiration (they're also on Flickr, over there ----->, for your continuous viewing pleasure).
Just to the left are the shiitakes. We got a couple handfuls of those too; those are going to be added to a hot wok - probably with some tofu, some broccoli, some leeks, and a sauce of, I don't know, ginger, soy and sesame oil - for a wonderful stir-fry. Add rice and spring rolls...man, I'm getting hungry.
One of the great things amongst all the wonderful things that is the Farmers' Market is the free samples; not only do you get to snack on wonderful berries and bacon and things, you
So at the various produce stands, we picked up some potatoes, some onion, and some cauliflower. This was our dinner tonight - a nice cauliflower-potato Indian curry. See how easy dinner planning is when you have inspiration.
Being a poor documentarian, I didn't get any pictures of the pork guy (bacon, brats, chops, easter hams...drool), the flower people (a dozen tulips for $5), or the multitude of other wonderfulness. Maybe in the next few weeks I'll add to the album. Because if there's one thing I'm certain of, it's that we'll be back to the Market in the next few weeks.
I'm glad the Farmers' Market is back.

2 comments:
I am so excited about the Farmer's market being back! I also love that it was pouring rain on Saturday, and we still managed to run into 4 people that we know there (you two and Sarah and Dave).
How I love the farmers' market... sigh. Our vendors remember us (how cool is that), we run into friends like Em, and we get good food. What else do you need?
And boy, were those mushrooms good!
Tonight we're looking at some bok choy. mmmmmm
Post a Comment