03 March 2007

hanging out in a coffee shop

Ah the coffee shop. Before college I hadn't experienced the wonderful environment of the coffee shop (I also didn't like coffee, so that's part of it). Once in college, I discovered how much work I could get done if I left the house, and I've been going to coffee ever since.

Oddly, I haven't spent much time working in coffee shops on my thesis. Somehow it didn't seem serious enough. But, that was a mistake. I've been here since about 9:45 this morning and have had the most productive hour plus in a LONG time. Hooray for coffee!

Why is it better here? I think there are a couple reasons.
  1. a new environment. There's no cat, tv, husband, or other familiar distractions.
  2. internet. At the coffee shop next to my house, you need a password to get online. I didn't get the password from the baristas until AFTER I worked for a good hour. (yay me!)
  3. tuning out. One of the BEST traits I inherited from my dad is my ability to tune things out. (just ask my mom!). If I can get engrossed in something, then the rest of the world disappears entirely. So much so that I don't hear the people next to me talking, I don't notice the people walking by, and when I was a kid- I wouldn't hear Mom calling me for dinner (when I was on the couch in the living room!). But it takes me a little while to get into this zone. I've been having a hard time finding this place recently (I've read that perhaps part of what I'm doing is self-hypnosis, interesting, huh). Today- no problem.
So, I'm feeling good! Now back to work for another 30 minutes or so and then on to the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The trait I always hated and envied.
Keep at it kiddo.

Mom